Monday, April 1, 2013

"Influencers" Can Help You!

Real Estate Education Training:

Get Influencers on Board!

I started my Real Estate career in 1983 after working several equally enjoyable "real jobs" for many years.  Those pre Real Estate positions were usually well defined and there were specific tasks that needed to be completed to get off probation, secure health care and other benefits that came with permanent full time employment status.  I also went to work at a certain time and left at an established time.  Not a lot of guess work and the chain of command in the work place was known from day one.  You reported to this person or that person and they did your evaluations, recommendations for promotions and etc.  Pretty simple and often easy to navigate once you got the hang of it.  You did the job and received a pay check.

As stated above, I entered the world of Real Estate with tried and true ideas on how to be successful from past work experiences.  The rules for success in Real Estate sales were in some ways similar but in other ways quite different.  I placed my license with a very respectable  national organization that offered great Real Estate training.  I learned that if you followed proven techniques you would have a good chance at success.  I remember one of the managers saying "dress for success".  I came to the office in my suits from my management career and felt that I was hitting the mark in that arena. I also attended the office meetings to observe the rest of the sales team.  I wanted to identify the top sales person(s) and learn by observation their work habits, tools and other techniques for success.  I noticed that they all had a home office for the "top secret" work.  This usually included direct marketing materials and contact calls that required a level of privacy.   I also noted that they did not sit around the office drinking coffee and making a lot of small talk.  Their time was disciplined to keep their production strong.  They also received a lot of praise from management.  During weekly office meetings these "top producers" received top sales, top listing, and top closed sales transaction awards.  I noticed that the same small group seemed to earn compliments in one or more categories in every meeting. 

You learned very quickly that this group did not do a lot of socializing around the office after meetings.  They seemed very friendly when they needed someone to do their "floor time".  Floor time, opportunity time or other names given to shifts (2 to 4 hours) answering the phone, taking messages and greeting walk in client prospects was not as highly valued by top producers.  One top producer equated floor time to being a "glorified message taker".  Newer agents often welcomed the floor time as a way to get business.  I was anxious to secure floor time during my first year in Real Estate as well.  I secured several clients via "up calls" or "walk ins".  These clients were not attached to an agent in the office and sometimes were anxious to get assistance with their housing needs right away.

Another benefit of attending the "mandatory" office meetings was the opportunity to hear the pep talks, industry related success presentations from management and a few top producing agents wanting to bask in the sunshine.  My grand father often said "that it is a poor dog that won't wag his own tail"!
There were always productive agents that enjoyed telling of a big deal or tough transaction that their skills allowed them to close.  One agent mentioned that he always liked to involve the parents, siblings or other "influencers" early in the deal.  He mentioned that during the initial interview he would try to identify anyone whose approval the client might seek.  He mentioned that he was especially keen on getting that individual on board as soon as possible.  He said that he would ask if the client "wanted to invite anyone else to see the property BEFORE writing an offer".  His belief was that first time buyers were more apt to desire a second opinion from a parent or other influencer.  He also referenced a transaction early in his career where the influencer attended the "final walk through inspection" prior to the client signing loan documents and closing the transaction that went sideways when a parent expressed dissatisfaction. He found himself back to square one!   Several weeks of getting all the paper work and other tasks completed went right out the window.  He said that he believes that all the other tasks are still important but failing to involve the influencer early in the transaction can be just as much a deal killer as a home inspection that identifies a number of expensive repairs due to deferred maintenance.

A home is often touted as one of the most expensive investments that a family will make.  Taking an extra tour of the property with the clients and their influencer(s) is one of the least expensive investments that we can make.

Michael Teer, Broker
Certified Residential Specialist (CRS)
Teer One Properties, Inc.
(951) 313-5168 Cell
www.miketeer.com
ProbateSoCal@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment